24 December 2007

Merry Happy, Happy Merry

It's yuletide once again. To me, this time of the year bears a lot of happy memories. The memories concern spending time with family and friends, eating well and relaxing, and without my being thankless, very few memories concern presents I have received. These days it seems to be very different. People are going crazy and thinking that spending more money than others and spoiling their kids is the purest joy of all. Let us hope that some poor kids don't end up crying over, for whatever reason, not receiving their customary thousands of dollars worth of presents. That would be such a shame.

Maybe I sound just a little bit cynical? Well maybe I am, and maybe I've just chosen to focus on other things than the purely materialistic aspect of the season. Today, celebrating the season is not something that most of us do out of personal choice, it's embedded in the global society and has to a certain extent been so for a long time. The season has become a commercial one, managed by market forces and the need to buy more, more and more. I'm not saying that one shouldn't buy things. Heck no, I've bought a lot myself this year. But in amidst the cash outflows, try to remember what it could be all about. Tradition, friendship, family, celebration and creating a breathing room from the hustle of everyday life, whatever it may encompass. Personally, the very essence of the season, even more so than all the other factors, is the food, and the serene feeling (that could be) creeping in on you whilst you sit down and enjoy your meal with those close to you.

I wish you all* a lovely time, wherever you are in the world and with whatever you're doing there.


*all four readers of this blog, that is.

No comments: