21 December 2007

Open borders...

In this article I would first like to comment on a development regarding the European Union border policy, and then I will summarise with some of my general thoughts on the future of Europe.

--------
It's interesting to see that Europe yet again opens its borders more or less freely, thus doing the opposite of countries like the US and Japan, who have increased their border control over the last years. Europe is already suffering from an appalling amount of unregistered and illegal immigrants causing an enormous economical, political and cultural burden*, so kudos to the EU for making it even easier for the unwanted to enter Europe, or to travel around freely once they're in. We can only hope that the delusionary super power which is the EU will realise that its days will be numbered unless measures are made to control (im)migration, trafficking and , mroe generally, issues related to lack of border control.

It's maybe a minor detail, but even the introduction of the Euro** was the start of the decline in my opinion. Upon visiting a new country, using the local currency has always been one of the 'exciting' features of overseas travel. But I guess that practical considerations have to prevail. Most of all, I hope that the European nations will be allowed and encouraged to keep their distinctive features and not succumb to the United States of Europe, thereby losing their cultural and traditional uniqueness. If not, I fear that the EU will be one country without borders, one nation, one culture - overrun by criminals and illegally present people.

I'll always remember the words of a Moroccan man we befriended in Brussels: L'Europe, c'est fini. If something doesn't change drastically, I'm afraid he's spot on.


* You disagree? I leave you with two choices:
1) Try going to/living in Europe, and/or
2) try opening your eyes.
** Yes, I am aware of and even accepting the economical benefits.

No comments: