Link to the article.
A brief and summarised translation follows: "Shot a fox during breakfast. He saw the fox only three metres from his house - and then "Bang!". "I have never seen a fox [here] before", he says after shooting the fox early this morning. He was preparing breakfast for the kids who were off to school when he saw something red and furry outside, eating a chunk of bread. "I ran to get my rifle, and the fox died three metres from the wall of our house," tells the fox hunter. Now the fox can be stuffed and the kids had something to tell in school." There is also a very morbid picture where the kids are posing behind the dead fox, smilingly, as they are holding the rifle. I have many objections to this article, several of which I actually do not even mention here due to lack of space. 1. It is not a news related article, thus there should be no place for it in a newspaper. 2. He had never seen a fox there before, and his natural reaction was to shoot it. What does this tell us about this man? Why not simply shoo it off if it is such a problem that it is there? 3. He is obviously proud that he managed to shoot and kill the fox. This grown man, with a rifle, what a boost to his manhood it must have been to be able to kill a little furry animal. 4. The reporter lets him brag of his deed and presents it as something remarkable and exceptionally well achieved. Indeed it is, from a few metres, killing a fox who is quietly eating bread put there by the humans, shooting a fox with a rifle must be very difficult and worth all the positive attention it can get. 5. The article seems to imply that killing foxes with guns, in front of the kids, is a good thing. Well. If you are trying to teach your surroundings to kill innocent animals at first sight, I guess the article is informative enough. 6. The kids look forward to telling their schoolmates about this. What sort of message are they delivering to their friends? "My dad is better than your dad, he killed a fox for breakfast!" 7. The kids are posing with the dead fox. They are smiling. And they are holding a rifle. I am not even sure if I have to comment on this one. [I do, of course, realise that there is the slight possibility that he "needed" to kill the fox because he has a chicken farm or something, but then again, it should still never have reached the news, and because of the bird flu threat I believe it is not legal to have birds outside these days anyway.] I read this article almost a week ago now, and it still boils inside me whenever I read it or think about it. What is wrong with the world today? What are we trying to teach the kids? And which values are we accepting by celebrating and acknowledging stories like these? I do not know the answer, but I am afraid it does not look good for the future if the minds of these people have any say in the development of the world as we know it.
I have written a long letter to the newspaper expressing my thoughts, and I am hoping that they will get back to me. If they do, I will keep you posted.
2 comments:
Vidar did you write the newspaper about this? you should. Kind regards Hendra Makgawinata...
Yeah, I sure did. They didn7t get back to me though. I will write them again in a while.
Vidar
Post a Comment