31 December 2008

News from home

The nearest town to where I'm from is a very quiet and sleepy little town (although its inhabitants seem to think their 'city' is of utmost importance to the world as a whole!).

Just to illustrate how quiet it is, the lack of news in Haugesund, as the town is called, has now made it to the front page of one of Norway's leading newspapers, Oslo-based Dagbladet. This article somewhat sarcastically reiterates a news headline from the local Haugesund newspaper.

The news article tells the dramatic story of a man who stole a hot-dog from a service station and escaped in a taxi, and that of a newly bandaged cat that had escaped whilst still needing treatment.

I have my views on the level of journalism in the local newspaper, and one of them is that when there is no news, don't present non-news as news! But in this case, it is rather funny and I think it serves as a cute reminder of peaceful small town living.

Happy New Year - and may your New Year's Eve be as peaceful as a night in Haugesund :)

No comments: